Encouraging God's GIfts

I don't want this to sound like boasting because that is NOT my intention at all.  This has NOTHING to do with anything I have done or not done.

But I really believe that God is in Carter's heart.

Now having said that, I always "poo-pooed" people who claimed their 3 year old had accepted Jesus in their hearts.  Not that I don't think God can do that - He can.  I just believe most 3 - 5 year olds don't have the understanding yet to know what they are doing but some parents want that assurance of salvation for their kids and so they push them to "pray the prayer".

However as a good Presbyterian (PCA), I believe in predestination and election.  I believe that God has chosen those He is going to save from the beginning of time and works in their hearts and lives for His will and purpose.

I see God working in Carter's heart.

He is so attentive to his Bible stories and in Sunday School (at least when I was in there yesterday) is focused and listening and answering the questions.  He remembers and has even told me stories he learned in Sunday School that I had to look up in my Bible because I didn't remember them!

He is starting to apply some of the things we have talked about.  Not listening to Satan when we get angry - i.e. not hit.  Encouraging one another - i.e. help his brother when he gets frustrated.  And yesterday in Sunday School I was holding a little boy who was not pleased his grandparents had left him and we were building a Lego tunnel for his trains.  I said, "Boys, I don't know if we are going to be able to make this tunnel work or not."  Carter said, "We just have to remember that we can do all things through God who strengthens me."

Hmmmm.

He asks these questions that I don't know how to answer in 4.5 year old terms and heck - sometimes don't know how to answer at all!

I feel very humbled and inadequate to guide this little boy.  I realized the other day that he hadn't been talking about God as much and then realized that it had been  2 weeks since we had had our morning Bible time.  Talk about convicting!  If I want God on his mind and heart then I need to read His Word to Carter daily.

Sound familiar?  I desire to trust God more, to think of Him more, to go to Him in prayer through out the day, to follow His guidance in my life.  And yet my time in His Word has also been missing.

Things God reveals to us through our children!

He is always singing a song (usually about God - LOVE the "Songs for Sapling" CD) and so to end - a made up song from Carter that he sang for me yesterday that luckily I was able to grab a pencil and paper and write down as he was singing.

O God I love you.
We always disobey you.
You love us anyway.
God of Power.
Jesus your son died on the cross for our sin.
Give us the strength to do good and help us to share.
But you just love us so much and you grow fruits and vegetables.

As my friend said, we've got either a minister or a gospel singer.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP